March 21, 2009

My Biodata

My name is Ng Sze Hui. I am a second year Statistic major student in the Faculty of Science of National University of Singapore (NUS), expecting to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in 2010. I believe that academic achievements are not everything but one of the stepping-stones in life. Hence, I have involved myself in numerous activities that would develop me as a person.

I was the Head Librarian in my Secondary School Concert band and I played the French horn. For a change, I joined the Taekwondo Club in Junior College and achieved a green-blue belt at the end of the two years. I was also involved in several organizational societies,
such as Dinner & Dance, Hall Amenities Club and Rag, during my time in NUS Sheares Hall. In addition, I joined NUS Science Club Talent Quest'o8 and NUS Dance Synergy. All these activities have build my character and ability to work with different people.

I have also lived in Munich, Germany, for a period of 10 weeks and travelled around Europe when I was 19. It was a great experience as I learnt to be independent, where I explore some places on my own at times. I learnt how to take care of myself and be a cautious and alert traveller while enjoying the cultural difference there. I'm currently staying in NUS Sheares Hall, taking care of my own daily life. Away from the sheltered home, cleaning my room, doing laundry and cooking meals are things that I do not rely on my mother already, at least on the weekdays!

It is my dream to run a small business of my own and have a blissful family.


Philosophy of Life


I believe that success is not the key to happiness. Instead, happiness is the key to success. If one loves what she is doing, she will be successful. True and genuine happiness is hard to find and I have often found it lacking in this society. I am blessed with a caring family and many close friends. I feel that their care and love they have shown me have made me truly happy and I try my best to spread this joy to them as well.

Edited: Added more information

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sze Hui,

    Really enjoyed reading your post. You began with a very good starting paragraph with points which I believe in too. Academic achievements is definitly not sufficient to make your life a more fulfiling one, and I can see that you have joined numerous activites to enrich yourself in various aspects of life.

    I also agree that it is difficult to find happiness that is true and genuine because in order to survive in this society, sometimes we may not have the luxury to have the choice to choose what we want to do. Instead, we may end up working for the sake to be able to survive in our "High Quality" Singapore.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sze Hui,

    your post is very smooth-flowing. It is also unique as you described your dreams and beliefs and how you like the way your lifestyle is now. This approach in writing makes your biodata stands out from the rest.

    I feel that you can add in more of your achievements. Some of the things you wrote in your resume can be included in here. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, Sze Hui, that you are one of the students in our class group this term who I feel I know the least. You have seemed a bit shy to me, and I am afraid that at times I haven't been able to read your nonverbals. I wasn't always sure that you wanted to reveal more of yourself.

    Well, having just read your autobiographical statement, I feel rather humbled. You are really quite an amazing young lady. First of all, you have clearly stepped out of your comfort zone, consciously, and experienced many stimulating things. Taekwondo? Germany? Dance synergy? I would have never guessed! (Proving once again, you can't judge a book by its cover.)

    But what is really impressive about you is your philosophy. Well said. That shows wisdom.

    Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope you can continue to spread the joy, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hui Xia!

    Thanks for the comment! I wish we can move slower in life and enjoy every little moment instead of rushing for deadlines that seems never ending in NUS. Where's the happiness?!

    =(
    (=

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Grace!

    I thought bio data should be more personal which tells others about personality and hobbies etc. Resume sounds boring to me since we did in class already! HAHA!

    I guess a concise bio-data is hard to achieve with us living for almost 21 years! So many ups and downs that we all went through and learnt from each experience.

    (=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brad!

    I'm shy towards new people and less expressive but people who know me always think I'm kind of a crazy person! oops!

    Thanks for the compliment! I'm not that amazing! I enjoy trying new things, maybe for the love of new challenges?! Life is too dull at times!

    I'm a tough person, I hope!

    (=

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hui Xia,

    I agree with you that academic achievement is not everything in our life as I feel that we should gain more experience and learn skills such as time management, for co-curricular activities as these experience and skills can aid us in our future.

    Your biodata has clearly shows that you are are independent, have good leadership skills and willing to try out new things. I think these good qualities in you may aid you in your future and I believe that you will have a bright future!!=)

    As I did not have a chance to interact much with you in class, I know more about you through this biodata and I am quite amazed with your participation in various activities as well as your independence!!Hope to know more about you in the near future!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Pooi San,

    You got the wrong person! I'm Sze Hui =)

    It's true that life experience is very important. I do not want to be a 'mountain turtle' which means a turtle that lives on the mountain top and not have any other knowledge of the world. It's similar to being a 'frog in the well'.

    I like to try new things, hoping to find what I can or like to do best.

    See you around in school!

    ReplyDelete