X has been working in a multinational company (MNC) as an events coordinator for 2 years. He is an ambitious and diligent worker who believes in his own abilities. Having performed relatively well in the company, X has became an eyesore to Y, his direct supervisor.
Thinking that X is trying to take his position, Y feels threatened and becomes cold and biased towards him.
He responds negatively to all X’s suggestions, despite knowing that some of the ideas are valid and feasible. Once, X successfully organised a large scale event and was recognized by the senior management. This further strained the relationship between them, and Y's attitude towards X became increasingly negative. During meetings, X is treated as if he is non-existent, and Y oftentimes cut off X midway through an idea. Y is determined to not allow X to demonstrate his capabilities.
X frequently notices Y staring at him at work, and feels uncomfortable with someone watching him in such a passive aggressive manner.
During a meeting one day, Y claimed credit for a successful project that X organised. X’s friends encouraged him to raise the issue with the senior management, as he deserved the credit for that success. However, Y’s standing in the company has improved and it will prove difficult for X justify his case.
Should X quit his current job and search for a job where he can start afresh, or should he confront Y? Would this worsen their relationship? What can X do to reassure Y that he is not trying to replace him? Is there any other way to resolve this situation?
-Edited-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hi,shihui
ReplyDeleteI will go straight to the question.
I think there are three solutions to this problem
1.X keeps on showing your talent,if he is a real gold,the higher level will eventually notice him no matter how many hampers there will be.
2.like the saying goes"an eye for an eye",if Y keeps scheming to kick X off the company,then X also can throw the ball back,such as pretending indelebrately to let the senior management know what the fact is or try to show his ability in front of the senior management
3.quit the job,if he has got the potential to have a promising future,he can also have that bright future in other companies instead of wasting time to think about how to outsmart Y all the time
Good Night.
Thanks Vikki!
ReplyDeleteI believe that if X has got the potential, he would definitely do well in other companies in future!
Dear Sze Hui,
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a very common situation in the workplace. There are bound to have such jealousy and conflicts in the office, especially if X and Y are good friends. If I were X, I will not quit my job as I think that it is not worth it. And X may not be 100% sure that he will not face such similar situations in other companies. Unless, if he is being offered a job in other companies, then it is worth considering to job hop.
I feel that if Y is all way out to pin down X, it is no use to confront him as I do not think that Y will admit. The fact that Y's standing in the office has climbed does not mean that X's fate is sealed. He can still make use of other opportunities to prove himself but keeping in mind that he'll have to be on his toes and not to let Y claim credit that is rightfully X's.
Well, I'm sure many people will have different opinions to handle the situation. But given my character, I think I will hang in there till I find myself another job if I really cant survive in such an environment.
Cheers!
Dear Sze!
ReplyDeleteI feel that X is really quite pitiful in this situation. But I feel that he should not just quit just because he's faced with a difficulty. Since this problem is known to his other colleagues, not everyone has a bad impression of him, and is aware of his ability!
So I would suggest that X
1) Should try to talk to someone else to find out if this is the same treatment Y gives to everyone. If yes, he shouldn't be too bothered.
But seeing that it's because Y feels threatened. This would be what he does next...
2) He should try to talk to Y, assuring him that first, he respects Y's seniority, and that he's not here to overthrow him. But that he love shis job and is dedicated to it.
3) After Y has been clear about X's work ethics and his dedication, I believe that X should speak to Y about how the previous project was not all his work and how he feels about Y claiming all the credit.
Y on the other hand should really reflect about why he feels so challenged by X. Could it be that X is really more capable and deserving of handling such bigger projects? And ask himself is he has been really fair, because I feel that Y wouldn't feel good having to deal with X all the while. He should also (if he feels bad), offer an apology to X and also tell the boss of X's effort and contributions. After all, a good leader is not just a person who leads the rest of his people to victory, but also is one that has the capability to recognize talents and groom them to be even better; stretched to their limit!
(:
This is a very interesting scenario, Sze Hui.
ReplyDeleteYou describe the problem scenario context and the characters involved quite well. Your description is also quite concise. However, in a few instances, there are problems with verb tense. Please review this and see if you can find where the tenses are inconsistent.
As for the problem itself, I'm glad you got lots of feedback. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Hi Sze Hui,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing with us about this scenario. I think the situation you describe here is very common in workplace as in my sister told me that she faced similar problem in her workplace.
I think it is common that a supervisor will feel threaten if his subordinate is better than him because he scares his subordinate will overtake him. The reason of Y treating X so badly because he scares X will overtake him.
I think X should ask other colleagues' opinion whether Y treat them like how Y treat him. After he got opinions from other colleagues, he should analyze these opinions and see whether there is any problem between Y and him. If there is problem between Y and him, I think he should talk with Y about it and convince Y that he does not intend to overtake him and respect him. He should clarify with Y that he works so hard is for the sake of company.
If after clarification, Y still treat X as usual, I think X can quit the job if he feels uncomfortable because I think he still can show his talent in other company.
Cheers and take care!!!!=)
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
ReplyDeleteI hope we won't meet such incidents at work in future!